Wednesday, August 27, 2008

School Daze

Ahh...the first day of school arrived on Monday. The summer flew by but then again, when you just got out of school the middle of July, naturally, it flew by because the break barely existed in the first place!


Hannah, age 11, grade 6, middle school....Miss, "I'm a big kid and you don't need to walk me into the building, mom".....so I said, "great, you can go in your carpool tomorrow", and she did! It has been going well for her. Hannah is interested in trying band this year and even thinks she wants to play the clarinet. No, she isn't using mine! For one, it is a relic and needs refurbished and two, I'll be heartbroken if something happens to it! I played it for eight years! We'll see if she infact chooses the clarinet at the end of this week (kinda hope she does).
There goes my baby! sniff sniff


Emily, age 8, grade 3, Miss, prompt and organized and also, Miss, "you don't need to walk me in, mom". This kid is on the ball. She gets up, eats, gets ready, loads her bag and is ready to walk out the door. She says of her teacher, "she's kinda nice but she is firm; as long as I'm good and follow the rules, I'll be fine." She has no tolerance for kids who don't follow the rules so I'm completely confident she will be fine.


Abby, age 4, preschool. Abby started preschool on Tuesday and of course, loved it. Not sure if she was good or not......she says she was.....but.....I've seen her in action and her being good is probably a debatable topic. She is going to a friend's house for preschool so it is very comforting for me.


So here we are, three days into the new year and all is well so far. The only mishaps:
1) I was about two minutes too late; Hannah got nervous and the tears were forming as I arrived.
2) The girls somehow mixed up their glasses this morning so my day started by going to the middle school to switch them. argh! I'm perplexed as to how that whole mix up even happened but it did and Emmy can't go without her glasses.
I will get four hours a week of "me" time and it should be nice, but I must say, a tiny bit of me was happy I wasn't sending Abby to kindergarten. I guess I'm not as ready as I thought I was for all of them to be in school. I choked up a bit as Hannah walked away from me and as she stiffened at my goodbye hug. It is so hard to hold on and let go all at the same time but I'm guessing I need to adjust. It only goes downhill from here I'm sure. If anyone has advice....please! share your "how to deal with a middle schooler" knowledge!

3 comments:

Whitney said...

Did you really get out of the car and hug her and take a picture of her walking away? It's always hard to let the first one go, it was easier because Derek is a boy. I bet it will be harder with Katie, not Amy. I don't know how I feel about Daniel being in 9th grade next year, scary.

Leslie said...

Yes, I really got out and "tried" to hug her....I hid the camera and when she walked away---took the pic....couldn't resist. It seemed so poetic.

Carol said...

ok...that pic of Abby just screams "trouble". love it. can't believe how old Emily looks. glad Hannah is doing well.