Where do I begin?....things have been crazy.....First, we got track break off to a bad start. It began when I had such a terrific headache my ability speak became impaired and I couldn't come up with basic words to make sentences. It was a bit scary. I was convinced to check it out....after 7 hours in the emergency room, blood work and a CT scan, it was determined I had a variant of a migraine headache. Not fun. I'm fine now.
All seemed better and off to Disneyland we went. It was, as usual, a good time, but very busy. It's tough to compete with everyone's track breaks/Spring breaks. We always enjoy going despite crowds. Being crowded made us do some of the more active things like the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail. It's always good to be active and the girls actually enjoyed doing it.
For a twist on our Southern California visit, we decided to go to Los Angeles and over to Hollywood and Bevery Hills. Lane has been to that area for business trips, but the girls and I had not. We thought they would think it was interesting to see Grauman's Chinese Theater, take the walk of Hollywood stars and most importantly (for the girls), see the Kodak Theater which is where the American Idol finale takes place. They thought it was pretty cool, yet pretty scary....some very scary people hangout down there!
All seemed well....then the eye problem hit....and it was bad. On Sunday, April 1, (cruel April Fool's Day) Abby appeared to be getting pink eye. When she woke up on Monday, it was cleary NOT pink eye. See Exhibit 1. We went to an optometrist hoping for a referral to a pediatric ophthamalogist. Well, they didn't take our insurance so we saw a different specialist who seemed to have a highly geriatric clientele and couldn't prescribe for children and ultimately had to consult with our Pediatrician anyway. Abby was started on oral antibiotics but didn't respond. See Exhibit 2. We were sent to the Pediatrician's office who said, "you need to leave here and immediately go to Summerlin Hospital. Here's your referral." Well, first, he walked in and said, "Oh SHI...!!!" and stopped himself short of the word.....said he wasn't expecting it to look like that! Next we knew we were at the hospital on IV antibiotics.....see Exhibit 3....seemingly happy I might add....Exhibit 4.
Exhibit 4
Abby was released Saturday, April 7....just in time for me to go to my Josh Groban concert. I was sweatin' it....but actually, it would have worked out anyway because thanks to my incredibly generous and wonderful in-laws, we had the help we needed to get through this ordeal. We can't thank them enough! So on to Josh....ahhhh, what an amazing performer. It was absolutely worth every penny!! We were fairly close, too.....as close as our budgets would allow. I went with a girlfriend so we got to scream and carry on like we were teenagers. It was a lot of fun.
Oh, let me back up....in the midst of the eye condition (which was a staph infection by the way, that we probably got from Disneyland), Emily turned 7. We had decided to let her have a little get together with friends from school. Lane took over Abby duty and I ran home for birthday duty. It was a very brief hot tub party, but she was thrilled. No, I did not make the cake. I was functioning on about 3 hours of sleep that day, so really, she's lucky she got a cake.
Sadly, there are no real good Easter pictures to display. We're just glad Abby was home for Easter!
So all seemed well again.....and the toe thing happened.....apparently on one of the rare moments I got out of my hospital cot barefoot, I picked up a staph infection. It knocked me on my butt....I went to an emergency care facility. The Doc said, "if your bloodwork isn't good, you'll need to be hospitalized." I almost cried. I said, "but my husband's parting words were 'can we avoid hospitals this week?'"! Let me tell you....I've got nasty feet anyway, so this DID NOT help! The update--all is well with my toe.
Just when I think I have it bad, something happens to someone near you. A guy in our Church laid down for a nap last Sunday and never woke up. He was 37 years old, a wife and four kids. Just like that! Life was over for him and his family's lives forever changed. I don't have it bad at all. I hate living in Las Vegas, but at least I'm living. I have a husband who is on most days, great. He has a good job and provides well for us. I have 3 healthy girls who love us unconditionally (for now). I may not love my house, but at least I have a house. (I do love my Suburban though). And again, thankful I can have it. I am not the thin person I used to be, but I've dropped two sizes and I'm healthy. We all have so many blessings that we forget to even be grateful for them. This man's death has reawakened my eyes. So emergency room trips, eye infections, toe infections--it's all good. I am just glad to be here and have the life I have!
There! All caught up!
Oh, here is what a happy kid looks like!

2 comments:
Whew!! That was a reader. Abby's eye really was awful wasn't it. Glad all is well again. Nice truck.
Yes, quite the read. Glad we had that conversation about doing the blogs. I will do that separately next time or simply try to stay updated!
Post a Comment